Radiative Processes in Astrophysics - ASTR 401
Lectures for the course Radiative Processes in Astrophysics, upper level undergraduate course at CSUN.
- Class 1 [pdf]
- Syllabus and overall overview.
- Class 2 [ppt] [notes]
- Principles of Radiative Transfer. Intensity, flux, Stefan-Boltzmann law, luminosity.
- Class 3 [ppt] [notes]
- Wien's displacement law, magnitudes, mean intensity.
- Class 4 [notes]
- Absorption and emission. Optical depth. Equation of radiative transfer.
- Class 5 [notes]
- Kirchhoff's laws. Microphysics of radiative transfer, Einstein coefficients.
- Class 6 [notes]
- Class 7 [notes]
- Radiation pressure. Spherical coordinates, radiative equilibrium. Gray approximation.
- Class 8 [notes]
- Rossland approximation; Rossland, Planck mean opacities. Eddington approximation.
- Class 10 [notes]
- Electromagnetic foundations of radiative transfer
- Class 11 [notes]
- Class 12 [notes]
- Class 13 [notes]
- Radiation Field and Larmor Formula.
- Class 14 [notes]
- Class 15 [notes]
- From Bremsstrahlung to Blackbody.
- Class 16 [notes]
- Class 17 [notes]
- Boltzmann and Saha equations
- Class 18 [notes]
- Class 19 [notes]
- Class 21 [notes]
- High mass stellar evolution.
- Class 22 [notes]