- Jun 2016: Visiting MPIA in Heidelberg.
- May 2016: B.Sc. student Sean Snyder graduated. Mr Snyder found a job in industry.
- May 2016: Got an internal CSUN grant to study convection in icy moons!
- Apr 2016: Wlad speaks at Caltech colloquium.
- Mar 2016: Got computer time on Stampede!
- Feb 2016: Story on CSUN Today<\
/a>, CSUN's local newsleter, on mygroup and our research.
- Feb 2016: Co-authored white paper on the need for laboratory work for characterizing the atmosphere\
s of exoplanets. Led by Jonathan Fortney.
- Feb 2016: Talk at Exoplanets and Disks: Their Formation and Diversity II\
I, in Ishighaki island, Okinawa, Japan.
- Jan 2016: Teaching upper level undergraduate course Radiative Processes.
- Dec 2015: Visiting Shu-ichiro Inutsuka at Nagoya University for six weeks as a JSPS (Japanese Society for the Progress of Science) fellow.
- Nov 2015: Back in Rio for Mars Academy, take two!
- Nov 2015: Paper accepted! We have \
a neat model to explain the mysterious thermal emission from HD 100546. With help from my co-authors Alex Riche\
rt (PSU), Aaron Boley (UBC),
Neal Turner, Mario Flock, Satoshi Okuzumi (JPL), and Mordecai-Mark Mac Low (AMNH).
- Nov 2015: Invited Yuk Lunch seminar at Caltech GPS.
- Sep 2015: Invited talk at conference Protoplanetary Disk Dynamics and Planet Formation, in Tokyo, Japan.
- Sep 2015: Talk at ExSoCal 2015 workshop at Caltech.
- Sep 2015: Paper submitted!, first author, with Alex Richert (PSU), Aaron Boley (UBC),
Neal Turner, Mario Flock, Satoshi Okuzumi (JPL), and Mordecai-Mark Mac Low (AMNH).
- Aug 2015: Teaching graduate course Select Topics in Astrophysics.
- Aug 2015: Started faculty position at CSUN.
- Jun 2015: Mars Academy! Our outreach program in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro has started! Update:
The program is thriving! In November it will restart with out international team.
- Jun 2015: Accepted faculty position at California State University, Northridge.
- Jun 2015: Invited review at conference The Origins of Planetary Systems: from the Current View to New Horizons in Tokyo, Japan.
- May 2015: Invited seminars at NASA Goddard, Princeton, JPL, and UFRJ.
- Apr 2015: Live interview for Science and Astronomy's hangout podcast show (in Portuguese).
- Apr 2015: Invited talk at conference
The Magneto-Rotational instability confronts the observations.
- Apr 2015: Op-ed
Reach for the stars: Favela children to control NASA Mars mission,
for the Toronto-based independent news website The Mark News.
- Apr 2015: Paper accepted! First-authored by PhD student Alex Richert (Penn State),
on the effects of
shock heating by very high-mass planets in protoplanetary disks.
- Mar 2015: Q&A session for Galileu, a major monthly popular science publication in Brazil.
- Mar 2015: Interview for
Veja, a major weekly newsletter in Brazil (in Portuguese).
- Mar 2015: Op-ed
Well you say you listen to stars. Astronomy and Brazil joining ESO,
on the occasion of the Brazilian chamber of deputies voting on the project (in Portuguese).
- Mar 2015: Live interview for
Science in Movement show in TV Rede Petrópolis, Brazil (in Portuguese).
- Mar 2015: Talking in Leiden's and Amsterdam's colloquia.
- Mar 2015: Invited talk at conference
Transition Disks and Planet Formation, plus invited colloquia in Leiden and Amsterdam. Visiting
Nienke van der Marel, Paola Pinilla, and Chris Ormel.
- Feb 2015: Initiative
Mars Academy for science outreach in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro.
- Feb 2015: Invited seminar at Cal State Northridge (CSUN).
- Jan 2015: Visiting Melissa Rice at Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA. I'll be giving a talk on planet formation at the physics department, and another about ice shell convection in Europa at the geology department.
- Dec 2014: Visiting Aaron Boley at the University of British Columbia (UBC), in Vancouver.
- Nov 2014: Paper accepted! First-authored by Natalie Raettig (MPIA-Heidelberg), on particle trapping and streaming instability in disk vortices.
- Nov 2014: Goulash and planet formation! Üdvözlet, Magyarország! Visiting Zsolt Sandor and Zsolt Regaly at Konkoly Observatory in Budapest for a week.
- Nov 2014: Invited seminar at UC Santa Barbara; visiting Omer Blaes.
- Oct 2014: Paper accepted!, with Neal Turner (JPL) and Colin McNally (NBI), on the Rossby wave instability in the outer dead/active zone transition.
- Oct 2014: Interview for the astronomy
podcast series at McGill university!
- Sep 2014: Talk at McGill; visiting Andrew Cumming.
- Jul 2014: Attending Pencil Code Meeting in Göttingen, Germany.
- Jun 2014: Attending meeting of the Canadian Astronomical Society in Quebec City.
- May 2014: Invited seminar at UCLA.
- May 2014: Paper accepted! Solo-author work on the newly-discovered linear convective overstability in accretion disks.
- Apr 2014: Invited seminar at Berkeley; visiting Chris Ormel.
- Mar 2014: Paper submitted! First-authored by Alex Richert (Penn State), on an interesting behaviour we found in the wakes of high-mass planets in disks.
- Mar 2014: Konnichiwa, Nihon! Visiting Shu-ichiro Inutsuka at Nagoya University and Shigeru Ida in Tokyo Tech for 3 weeks.
- Apr 2013: Aloha, Hawai'i. Talk at Exoplanets and disks: their formation and diversity II.
- Nov 2013: Visiting Sijme-Jan Paardekooper in Cambridge, UK.
- Nov 2013: Visiting Sweden, talk at Uppsala, Nordita.
- Oct 2013: Invited seminar at JPL (yes, I work there, but it's a huge place!).
- Aug 2013: Interview for podcasting show Stuttering is Cool.
- Aug 2013: Talk in Heidelberg; visiting Kees Dullemond and Hubert Klahr
- Aug 2013: Talk at GPS.
- Aug 2013: Paper accepted! First-author work, with Min-Kai Lin (CITA), deriving the analytical solution for dust trapping by disk vortices. The results are applicable to the large asymmetries recently seen in mm and sub-mm observations. (Update: this has been called the Lyra-Lyn solution).
- Jul 2013: Paper accepted! First-author work, published in Nature, in collaboration with Marc Kuchner (GSFC), on the photoelectric instability in debris and transitional disks, and how it leads to the usual patterns attributed to unseen planets.
- Jun 2013: Invited seminar at Lund University, Lund, Sweden.
- Jun 2013: Attending Pencil Code Meeting in Lund, Sweden
- Jun 2013: Talk at Centre d'Energie Atomique (CEA), Paris; visiting Sebastien Fromang, Mario Flock, Natalie Dzyurkevich, and Peggy Varniere.
- May 2013: Talk at Caltech's Department of Geology and Planetary Sciences (GPS).
- Apr 2013: Public talk at BIL conference, Long Beach, CA.
- Apr 2013: Aloha, Hawai'i, attending workshop 2013 Rocks! on transitional disks and ALMA.
- Apr 2013: Faculty job interview at BMCC, New York.
- Apr 2013: Faculty job interview at University of Toronto, Canada.
- Jan 2013: Paper accepted! Student paper, first-authored by Natalie Raettig (MPIA), on a thorough parameter study of the baroclinic instability in local models of protoplanetary disks.
- Nov 2012: Invited talk at Sagan/Michelson fellows symposium.
- Nov 2012: Guest lecturing at University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada.
- Oct 2012: Invited seminar at Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada.
- Oct 2012: Visiting James Owen and Min-Kai Lin at the Canadian Institute for Theoretical Astrophysics (CITA).
- Sep 2012: Invited review at Instabilities and structures in protoplanetary disks; Marseilles,
- Sep 2012: Invited seminar at Université de Montréal, Montreal, Canada.
- Sep 2012: Invited seminar at Queens University, Kingston, Canada.
- Aug 2012: Presenting at IAUS 293: Formation, detection, and characterization of extrasolar
habitable planets; Beijing, China.
- Jun 2012: Paper accepted! First-author work, with Mordecai-Mark Mac Low, on the first three-dimensional non-ideal magnetohydrodynamics model of the boundary between magnetically active and dead zones in protoplanetary disks.
- Jun 2012: Presenting at "The Origin of Stars and their Planetary Systems"; Hamilton, Canada.
- Jun 2012: Presenting at the 2012 meeting of the Canadian Astronomical Society; Calgary, Canada.
- Jun 2012: Paper accepted! First-authored by Barry McKernan, on how to grown intermmediate-mass black holes in AGN disks.
- May 2012: Talk at JPL.
- May 2012: Paper accepted! Second-author work, first-authored by Colin McNally, on an interesting code-comparison project on Kelvin-Helmholtz instability.
- Apr 2012: Invited seminar at Caltech's IPAC.
- Mar 2012: Moved to Pasadena!
- Feb 2012: Paper accepted! Second-author work, first-authored by Krzysztof Mizerski, accepted on the Journal of Fluid Mechanics, on our discovered unification of the magneto-elliptic and magneto-rotational instabilities.
- Jan 2012: Paper accepted! Student paper, first-authored by Brandon Horn (AMNH/Columbia), refining of our planet migration code in evolutionary disk models by inclusion of N-body interactions and turbulent jitter, thus enabling growth.
- Dec 2011: Started Sagan fellowship at JPL!
- Dec 2011: Natalie Raettig and I are visiting Hanno Rein and presenting at astro-coffee at Princeton.
- Oct 2011: Attending Pencil Code meeting in Toulouse, France.
- Oct 2011: Talk at Nordita.
- Oct 2011: Presenting at EPSC-DPS Joint Meeting 2011; Nantes, France.
- Sep 2011: Invited review at Dynamics and Formation of the Oort Cloud; Lille, France.
- Sep 2011: Talk at Nordita.
- Oct 2011: Teaching a planetary sciences course at AMNH.
- Aug 2011: Paper accepted! First-authored by Barry McKernan, on migration of black holes in AGN disks.
- Aug 2011: Paper accepted! Second-author work, first-authored by Sebastien Fromang, on
meridional flows (or lack thereof) in MHD.
- Jun 2011: Invited talk at Ringberg Workshop on Geophysical and Astrophysical Fluid flow:
Baroclinic Instability and Protoplanetary Accretion Disks; Ringberg
Castle, Bavaria, Germany.
- May 2011: Visiting Richard Nelson; talk at Queen Mary University, London, UK.
- Apr 2011: Attending The Nature of Turbulence workshop, at KITP, Santa Barbara, CA, with Hubert Klahr and Natalie Raettig.
- Apr 2011: Talk at Annual meeting of the Astronomical Society of New York, Rochester, NY.
- Feb 2011: Talk at workshop Planet formation and evolution, Göttingen, Germany.
- Feb 2011: Talk at Harvard-Smithsonian CfA.
- Feb 2011: Talk at Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
- Jan 2011: Awarded Sagan fellowship!
- Jan 2011: Paper accepted! Second-author work, first-authored by Zsolt S´ndor, on how convergence zones can help form larger cores.
- Dec 2010: Invited talk at NASA Goddard. Visiting Marc Kuchner.
- Dec 2010: Visiting Hanno Rein, Tobi Heinemann, and Andras Zsom at Princeton; led astro-coffee discussion.
- Nov 2010: Talk at Columbia.
- Nov 2010: Talk at AMNH.
- Nov 2010: Paper accepted!First-author work, with Hubert Klahr, on the magnetic properties of vortices and the baroclinic instability in protoplanetary disks.
- Oct 2010: Attending workshop "The Astrophysics of Planetary Systems: Formation, Structure, and Dynamical Evolution" in Turin, Italy.
- Aug 2010: Awarded NSF grant! $460K for 3 years.
- Jul 2010: Hosting Pencil Code meeting in NYC.
- Jun 2010: Visiting Neal Turner for two weeks at JPL.
- Apr 2010: Paper accepted! First-authored work, with Sijme-Jan Paardekooper and Mordecai-Mark Mac Low, on how inward and outward migration lead to convergence zones and avoid catastrophic infall.
- Jan 2010: Started teaching a stellar astrophysics course at AMNH.
- Nov 2009: Seminar at AMNH.
- Nov 2009: Moved to NYC.
- Aug 2009: Attending IAU in Rio.
- Aug 2009: Hosted Pencil Code Meeting
- Jul 2009: Got grants from European (ERC) and German research councils (DFG) to fund Pencil Code Meeting
- Apr 2009: Moved to Heidelberg
- Mar 2009: Paper accepted! First-author work, with Anders Johansen, on rapid planet formation via RWI at dead zone boundaries, with all the gory details omitted from the 2008 letter.
- Mar 2009: Invited seminar at Lund.
- Feb 2009: Defended PhD thesis! Dr Lyra!
- Dec 2008: Talk in Heidelberg; visiting Hubert Klahr.
- Nov 2008: Paper accepted! First-author work, with Anders Johansen, showing that RWI at planetary-edge boundaries forms planets.
- Nov 2008: Paper accepted! First-authored by Anne Liljeström, on the shear-dependency of stresses in MRI turbulence.
- Oct 2008: Paper accepted! First-author work, with Anders Johansen, an interesting letter on rapid planet formation via RWI at dead zone boundaries. The work was highlighted in A\&A.
- Oct 2008: Talk at Turbulence and oscillations in accretion disks, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Aug 2008: Talk at Extrasolar planets in multibody systems, Torun, Poland.
- Aug 2008: Attending Pencil Code Meeting, in Leiden, The Netherlands.
- Jun 2008: Talk in London; visiting Richard Nelson. Jun 2008: Paper accepted! Second-author work, first-authored by Gustavo Porto de Mello, on a detailed spectroscopic analysis and literature-synthesis of the Alpha Centauri binary system. Article based on my undergraduate work, with then-fellow undergrad Graziela Keller.
- May 2008: Invited review at workshop Energy transfer and conversion inside magnetospheres , in Uppsala.
- Dec 2007: Paper accepted! First-author work, with Anders Johansen, on global MHD models of accretion disks, with Lagrangian particles. This is the first paper to see the emergence of zonal flows and analyze its particle-trapping properties.
- Oct 2007: Defended licenciate (master) thesis, on magnetohydrodynamics of accretion disks and planet formation. Got Ph.Lic. (M.Sc. equiv).
- Oct 2007: Attending workshop Exoplanets: Detection, Formation and Dynamics, in Suzhou, China.
- Aug 2007: Attending Pencil Code Meeting in Stockholm.
- Nov 2005: Attending workshop on planet formation in Leiden, the Netherlands.
- Oct 2005: Paper accepted! First-authored by Rafael Pinotti, on a possible metallicity-SMA correlation in exoplanets.
- Apr 2005: Visiting Axel Brandenburg in Copenhagen.
- Mar 2005: Attending workshop "From Disks to Planets: New Observations, Models, and Theories", in Pasadena, CA.
- Feb 2005: Start working with the Pencil Code.
- Nov 2004: Visiting André Moitinho in Lisbon.
- Oct 2004: Paper accepted! First-author work, on the age-rotation-activity relationship for solar-type stars, measured in Hα. Based on my undergraduate thesis work.
- Oct 2004: Attending ESA school on planetary sciences, in L'Aquila, Italy.
- Sep 2004: Start grad school in Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.
- Jul 2004: Finish work in Chile.
- Aug-Oct 2003: Visiting João Alves at ESO Garching, Germany, and André Moitinho at Lisbon Observatory, Portugal.
- Jul 2003: Started working at CTIO, La Serena, Chile, under mentorship of Nicole van der Bliek.
- Jun 2003: Defended undergraduate thesis (B.Sc. in Astronomy).
- Dec 2002: Observing run at OPD (w/o supervision).
- Oct 2002: Observing run at OPD (w/o supervision).
- Aug 2002: Started undegraduate thesis work on calibrating the H-alpha line as indicator of chromospheric activity in solar-type stars.
- Jun 2002: Summer Student Program at Space Telescope in Baltimore, MD. 10 weeks under mentorship of Daniela Calzetti.
- May 2002: Observing run at OPD.
- Oct 2001: Observing run at OPD.
- Sep 2001: Observing run at OPD.
- Aug 2001: Work on Alpha Centauri presented at annual meeting of Brazilian Astronomical Society.
- Jun 2001: Observing run at OPD.
- Oct 2000: Observing run at OPD.
- May 2000: First observing run at the 1.6m telescope at Observatório do Pico dos Dias, in Brazópolis, MG, Brazil.
- Apr 2000: Start undergraduate research project on spectroscopical analysis of the Alpha Centauri binary system, mentored by
Gustavo Porto de Mello, and with fellow undergrad student Graziela Keller.
- Apr 1999: Start undergraduate studies in astronomy at Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.